I came down with a sore throat Friday, so spent most of the weekend resting and trying to shake whatever virus was trying to have a party in my throat. Being down is no fun, but it did give me a chance to pick at progress on the T Shirt quilt. I was feeling intimidated by the free-motion quilting to be done on the T blocks, as it has been a while since I last did free-motion quilting. I started with the Beatles block, stitching around the jumping Beatles' bodies and around their heads at the top of the block. It went so well that I fairly overcame the lack of confidence I had earlier. I even went on to finish three of the blocks with white backgrounds. Not stunning progress, but not bad for a girl with a scarf around her neck, keeping the Kleenex box within arms reach.Sunday, November 18, 2007
Under the Weather, but the Quilting Must Go On!
I came down with a sore throat Friday, so spent most of the weekend resting and trying to shake whatever virus was trying to have a party in my throat. Being down is no fun, but it did give me a chance to pick at progress on the T Shirt quilt. I was feeling intimidated by the free-motion quilting to be done on the T blocks, as it has been a while since I last did free-motion quilting. I started with the Beatles block, stitching around the jumping Beatles' bodies and around their heads at the top of the block. It went so well that I fairly overcame the lack of confidence I had earlier. I even went on to finish three of the blocks with white backgrounds. Not stunning progress, but not bad for a girl with a scarf around her neck, keeping the Kleenex box within arms reach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
cool
Thanks kreativemix!
Hope you're feeeling better.
I know how you feel about free motion quilting. I never want to start it but them get transfixed and can't stop.
The worst experience with free motion quilting was when I used my old machine that required you to remove the presser foot, but still lower the lever to engage the bobbin tension. I sewed hundreds of tiny circles for over an hour. Then I stopped and realised I have forgotten to put the presser foot lever down and while it looked ok on the front, the back was a mess of loose tangled threads that pulled out with the slightest tweak. It took 2 hours to unpick it all.
Luckily now I have a much better machine and I shouldn't be able to make that mistake anymore. Plus my new machine has a very clever gizmo that scans the fabric as you move it. It can tell how fast you are moving and regulates the stitch length accordingly, so every stitch is pefectly even. It's quite bizarre at first because you don't need to press the pedal - you just start moving the fabric and it sews by it's self. Pretty cool huh!
Sorry to hear you are sick but glad you could make some progress on the T quilt. I went over to Rach's blog from here and enjoyed her pictures of the workshop too.
Post a Comment