Monday, February 15, 2010

Fabric Dragonfly Thank You Card


Today a good friend gave me a hand-crafted, metal dragonfly garden ornament that I just love. For more than a year now, I have made my own cards from blank card stock, sewing fabric compositions to the blank. As a thank you note to her, I made this dragonfly fabric composition; it was put together without much fuss and although the photo does not show it well, hand-stitched green metallic threads into the dragonfly. The card stock appears as a beige-peach color in the photo, but it is actually white. I think it's alright to post this because I'm fairly certain that she does not read my blog so the first she'll see this is when she opens her mail.

5 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

This is a nice idea. How to find the time would be my problem, but then thinking about driving to a store, getting the card, writing in it, taking it to the mailbox... about the same time to make a card??

Good job! Your friend will keep it forever.

Linda said...

Beautiful! How do you hide threads when sewing on paper?

TB said...

To answer the question about how I hide the threads--I don't. I use thread that's the same color as the card stock, and I don't try to hide the straight stitching on the back side of the front of the card.

To answer the question about how long it takes to make a card--about a half hour, at the most an hour. I have several boxes of card stock always on hand, so it's just a matter of putting the fabric composition on the card and writing the note inside.

Raffie's Trail said...

That is breath taking, I love it.

Lizzy said...

Beautiful! I would love to try this.